Student Support

Support Services

RTC students may access support through various avenues and means during a course of study.

As a small college, the RTC is well equipped to interact personally with students and respond directly to students’ special needs. Students are encouraged to bring any specific needs to the attention of the teaching faculty. Please review the points of contact at the bottom of the page.

Although the RTC provides some student support services directly, the Study Melbourne Student Centre, located in the heart of Melbourne CBD and in proximity to RTC, is recommended as a place to gain general information, referral and practical support for all overseas students on accommodation, health, employment and legal issues. Domestic students can also visit them to obtain general information on the services available.


The RTC provides counselling to students who wish to seek advice on their spiritual and academic issues, as well as their vocational pathways. Counselling is ordinarily offered by RTC Faculty directly upon requests and can be offered in person or via internet or telephone. Where mental health, personal or relational issues adversely affect a student’s study, RTC may provide short-term funded counselling (ordinarily one to five sessions) at the Melbourne East Christian Counselling Service. Requests for such counselling will be initiated by the student’s lecturer and approved by the RTC Principal. For any trauma-related issues, students are referred to external agencies that are covered by the RTC’s Insurance Provider, after consideration is given to the nature and significance of their cases.


Students are encouraged to access Victoria Legal Aid for free advice and information on particular services that students

The International Students Accommodation Legal Service, provided through the Study Melbourne Student Centre, also provides a free, confidential and independent legal service to help overseas students with accommodation issues. Lawyers are available on Tuesdays and Fridays at the Study Melbourne Student Centre.

The International Students Work Rights Legal Service also offers free, confidential and independent legal advice for overseas students with work problems (excluding migration). Their lawyers are available on Monday, Tuesday and Friday at the Study Melbourne Student Centre.


On-campus students are encouraged to seek accommodation options individually. The Barkley Hall Student Residence in Geelong, named in honour of the College’s founding Principal, Rev. Alexander Barkley, is recommended for consideration as it is the Student Residence Hall of the RTC. Students wishing to reside in the Melbourne area are encouraged to look for housing options online through The Australian Christian Accommodation. For short stays in the Melbourne CBD area, Melbourne City Backpackers or Melbourne City Tempo (Queens Street) are usually recommended.


Geelong-based students are encouraged to access services at Geelong Medical & Health Group for an initial consultation. Melbourne residents likewise may access general consultation through places such as QV Medical Centre and CBD Doctors Melbourne. Further general information about community health services can be found on the Victorian Government website (


The RTC provides an hour-long video seminar on Essay Writing to all students. Overseas students needing additional help are recommended to access Theological English: An Advanced ESL Text for Students of Theology as an aid to their studies. This textbook helps non-native English speakers gain access to the rich theology of the Reformed tradition, with 30 lessons covering major themes of theology (apologetics, biblical studies, church history, systematic theology, and practical theology). For advanced courses on academic English, the RTC recommends students use online platforms such as Open Learning or else edX for free English courses. Overseas students can visit the Study Melbourne Student Centre to gain information about available workshops that can help develop their skills.


The Student Fellowship Committee (SFC) at RTC provides students with general practical and academic assistance, facilitates student social events, advocates for the student body, and presents student concerns to the Faculty. Hence when students need advocacy, the Student Fellowship Committee is to be approached for the proper appeals process.


Students wishing to obtain further information about college life, academic processes, or services available may wish to contact the following persons:

The RTC Academic Dean, for information related to student welfare, academic challenges and grievances (if contact with Faculty through the Student Fellowship Committee did not yield satisfactory outcomes)
→ Current Academic Dean: Phillip Scheepers,

The RTC Registrar, for information related to course progress, enrolment, use of the RTC eCampus, and RTC study as an overseas student
→ Current Registrar/Overseas Liaison Officer: Paul Lucas,

The Melbourne Receptionist, for information related to campus availability and other aspects of College life
→ Current Melbourne Receptionist: TBA

• The head of the RTC Student Fellowship Committee, for matters related to student advocacy or organised social activities or opportunities for RTC students


Police, Fire, or Ambulance (in an emergency): 000

Police Assistance Line: 131 444

Ambulance Victoria: 1300 366 141 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat. 9am-5pm)

Fire Rescue Victoria: 1300 367 617